Hi, I am Faye from Glossytots Today I have been asked to let you know about our thoughts on large age gaps between babies.
I have a daughter from a previous relationship who is 6 years old in May. Erin has been desperate for a brother and sister (yes apparently they don’t come as singletons!) since she was 4. She even told me that she was going to ask Santa for them!! Cue me panicking as Erin was IVF so it’s not an easy job- or cheap for that matter!!
I had never really thought about the fact that the age gap between my children (I am blessed to have any more) When I started to think about it, I panicked. By the time my little one is 10 Erin will be nearly 17!! That’s the age of being able to go out on her own and drive and all the other things that she won’t want a ten-year-old hanging around with her for.
Will this make her less close to a sibling?
Will she be sad that she can’t be a little playmate as they will have such different tastes in toys!?
The problem is there are so many negatives that popped into my head but i never thought about the huge positives – which include:
- I have spent 6 years with Erin and been able to give her my full attention
- Her sibling would be able to have one on one time too as Erin will be at school
- Erin will be able to help me and be a little mini mummy
- My sister is 14 years older than me and that’s never affected my life or relationship with her!
- I am able to spend time with both of my children separately and do special things with both of them and not have to share my time.
- I won’t have two in nappies!!
All in all, I think you can end up with negatives and positives for both sides, small age gaps and large age gaps. It’s personal preference and either can work in any setup. Thankfully for us, I think if I do have anymore Erin will take to it like a duck to water.